Many years ago, as I was researching g-tubes, I came across an article in an online resource called Complex Child Magazine. The article was entitled something like The Do Nothing Approach to G-Tubes. It was written by a mom who shared that she was always getting compliments from clinicians on the healthy condition of her son's gtube stoma. She gave instructions for care that she attributed to this outcome. I can't even tell you how many times I have shared that article with new tubie families - so many times! I've tried to find the article again, but it appears that, unfortunately, Complex Child Magazine's website is no longer active. I have contacted the publisher and fingers crossed I can get a copy. Before I share this mom's tips, let's talk about what can go wrong with a gtube stoma.
Complications That Can Happen
Caring for a gtube stoma is all about ensuring the skin around is clean and healthy, but sometimes it's not that simple. You might find:
- Skin Irritation: This might be from leakage or tugging. A small amount of leakage is to be expected, but if there is leakage that is soaking clothing or gauze, talk to your doctor. Perhaps your child needs a different size button. Ensure that you are removing the feeding extension when not in use. This will help prevent irritation from tugging.
- Granulation Tissue: Granulation tissue is delicate, red, and moist. It can be painful, may bleed, and is difficult to look at. If you see this tissue around the site, talk to your doctor about treatment options. Keeping the site clean and dry and limiting tugging should help prevent granulation tissue from developing.
- Infection: Once the site is healed, infection risk should be low. Always make sure to use clean hands when touching the tube, especially before it's fully healed.
The Do Nothing Approach
I read that mom's article before my son went in for his gtube surgery, and so I implemented her recommendations from day one. And you know what? I always get compliments on my son's healthy stoma too! Here's the approach:
- When the gtube is placed, clean and dry the area once or twice a day. Apply Bacitracin daily for six to eight weeks (until the stoma is healed). Keep the stoma open to the air (no cute tubie pads) and wipe away any leakage. You want to make sure it is staying clean and dry, so check it throughout the day while it's healing.
- Twist the gtube daily. Think of the gtube like an earring. The outside part is like the diamond and the balloon inside is like the backing. When you get your ears pierced, they tell you to turn them so your skin doesn't adhere to the earring. Same with a gtube. The gtube should turn easily, if it doesn't, it's likely too tight to the skin.
That's it! The "Do Nothing Approach" to gtube care. I hope this information is helpful and, please, always talk to your doctor about your care plans.
Until next time 💚
Like this blog? Tell your friends!
Be sure to check out our podcast and follow us on social media!
@CDKL5inColor on Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Blue Sky, & YouTube
www.CDKL5inColor.com
--------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: CDKL5 in Color (podcast, website, blog, text and visual content, social media, and other creative works) constitutes lived experience and is not intended as medical advice. Always consult your doctor.
Comments
Post a Comment